**** Commodore16.com ****

Commodore 16/Plus 4 website to provide support and gaming

Spammers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by sidney13 sidney13 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    c16guy
    c16guy

As you’re all probably aware. We have been bombarded with tons of spammers for ummm about a billion years now. We’ve tried various different anti-spam measures even the most popular ones over the years, even changing how the whole website works with a completely new redesign. Nothing seemed to work. We were deleting about 30 a day over god knows how long.

I’ve now discovered a new tool which isn’t well known, and I have set it to new registrations only. Basically all the new potential member has to do is solve a very simple mini-game so the registration gets accepted. That’s it, no other standard captcha needed. So far it has managed to stop every single spammer dead in their tracks, which is quite a novelty for a change. It shouldn’t prevent genuine members from registering as I successfully registered a test account myself. I am becoming a little more confident that our spam problem has finally gone forever now 8)

Either that, or I’ve jinxed myself just by mentioning it :lol:

Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Fingers crossed this sorts it once and for all. Glad to hear it’s working so far, nice one. :)

c16guy
    c16guy

Well in the space of 24 hours. One has slipped through, but they’re immediately put on hold awaiting approval or denial. 435 bots blocked so far. Not bad considering we were getting between 20-30 spam signups a day :)

MikeDX
    Participant

Baz, if this becomes a problem again let me know and I’ll put something in place for you 😉

c16guy
    c16guy

Thanks MikeDX. Will let you know. Still no more has gotten through so far, so I’m quietly confident :)

I’m thinking the more popular any particular anti-spam system is, then the more likelihood hackers will attempt to bypass its security hence why all the popular (free ones at least) never seems to work.

But because this one is quite lesser known, probably newer then it’s possible that (A) spammy hackers haven’t figured out how to bypass security yet, (B) they don’t consider it popular enough to bother with or (C) that they’re unaware of its existence.

I’m unsure if there is any such thing as a 100% foolproof and permanent anti-spam solution. Mind you though, this one may be adequate enough for a good few years yet at least.

sidney13
    sidney13
    Participant

You are doing a sterling job Baz! I Hate the Spammers with a passion but respect your efforts in keeping them off our great site!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.